The New Inn
Junction of Milton Road
This photograph of the New Inn, at the junction of Milton Road and Queen Street, was taken around 1913. It shows the fine design of the advertising signs for Rigden's Fine Ales.
Behind the inn in Queen Street are the Turner's livery stables, who offered char-à-banc drives daily.
The new Inn was the family home of Dr. Holker, who accommodated the Prince and Princess of Orange in 1734.
They had to shelter there because the weather was not fit for sailing. In 1780 the inn was sold and renamed the New Inn, perhaps because the licensee was from the New Tavern.
The New Inn, which was previously a coaching inn, had a large garden at the rear, with a bowling green.
The New Inn with a nice new coat of paint.
The notice board on the wall, advertises the Euro 2000 football match between England and Ukraine.
The area at the back of the building, is now a yard and garage used by the Post Office.
To the right is Pender Pharmacy.