Site of old Christ Church
The old Christ Church was built in Parrock Road, just by the top of 'Love Lane', as a result of the increasing population in this part of Gravesend.
After the sale of St. John's Church to the Roman Catholics, a committee was set up to find or build a replacement.
Mr. C. J. Pinching offered the Russell Street School site and a license for
services was set up.
This, however was deemed to be unsuitable because an expensive foundation would be needed.
Eventually a site was offered by the South Eastern Railway Co. at a moderate
sum and accepted.
Mr. G. R. Cobham's tender was the lowest and so he was elected to do the work.
The first stone was laid on the 2nd August 1854, and it was opened on the
22nd November 1855.
The Bishop of Rochester, Dr. Murray, performed the consecration on 5th August 1856.
The original design included a spire, but this was left out when the building was constructed.
In 1864, the church was enlarged to add another 100 seats at the cost of £483-3s-5d.
After that, concerts were also held there by soldiers from the nearby Milton Barracks.
In later years, the church became unsafe and was demolished in 1932.
All that remains of the old church are some blocks of stone in the centre of Christ Church Green.
The church, however, was rebuilt quite soon after on a site in Old Road East, the foundation stone being laid in 1934, by the Countess of Darnley.
The road that goes around the back of where the church was is Christ Church Road
The photo was taken from about 15 meters back in the junction of Clarence Place and Shrubbery Road, and Parrock Road itself.